Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Does Optimism Boost the Immune System?

It is interesting to read a media release titled "Optimism Boosts the Immune System". The study provides some insights to this long debated topic.

Optimism in my life has some merit however in my profession I have to look at the worst scenarios sometimes which may look or sound pessimistic. Any design requires a holistic view of the topic both from optimistic and so called pessimistic aspects.

It is possible to come across paradoxical views on the optimistic behaviour such as to smile when it hurts most.Is this possible and realistic? Having said that, from hindsight we see blessings in disguise for the things seemed horrible to us when we were experiencing them.

Many comments were made throughout the history on optimistic and pessimistic approach. We all may have heard Churchill's famous assertion "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.". Is it really so? As I asked in my another post "Do optimists see the opportunity in every difficulty?" Whose choice may it be?

Regards,
Mehmet Yildiz

1 comment:

  1. Hold on Mehmet I may need to draw breath before answering.

    In short yes - but that might be Placebo. Having said that and accepting it I would still choose to be optimistic.

    I think delivery of "thorough life" will entail optimism and pessimism.

    Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - optimism can only exist with pessimism.

    Surly the end result is the one to measure. Therefore, smiling when it hurts only seems to be paradoxical, and if the end result is good then it's just part of the journey.

    Based on that is the term can only be used as a title for life not an answer to the short term - in which case the immune system can be boosted if only as placebo.

    The mind is a wonderful Doctor, it fixes stuff. So I would say that if being optimistic keeps the mind content then the by product is an improved immune system.

    Forgive my inane warbling I have no expertise in anything medical - but I fell better being an optimist.

    N

    ReplyDelete

Powerful Life Changing Hacks That Truly Transformed My Life: Using simple yet effective hacks to transform physical, mental and emotional health rapidly and sustainably

In this post, I'd like to introduce one of my recent books reflecting my transformational development. It is titled " Powerful L...