Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fast food may cause impatience

It was not surprising to me to read about this research finding of fast food in our behaviour. The study paper is called "You Are How You Eat: Fast Food and Impatience". It has been made available by the University of Toronto freely in this link.

Fast food is in abundance in our lives and they address our desire for speedy life styles. I provided some random thoughts on abundance and speed in one of my previous blog posts. In any design and implementation activities, quality, quantity and speed require a trade off. I believe in relativity and subjectivity in quality, quantity and time. One of the comments by Mr Stuarte Harris was notable and want to cite it here: "Whatever the clock says, whatever the advertising says, whatever anything external says, our perception of time and quantity and quality is purely subjective."

One of my friend (in his late 70s with a lot of experience in management of large corporate organisations) a few years ago asked a question of "Why we humans are in rush all the time" which still resonates in me. I am still searching an answer to this question.

2 comments:

  1. That is what companies use in their smallprint to get new customers.

    De-accelerate is a keyword that springs to mind. Yoga.

    Are you driven or a driver ?

    Discovery of slowliness by Sten Nadolny is a fantastic read under this aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting observations.
    De-accelerate could be used as a strategy to cope with this super fast speed. Yoga appears to be a good alternative. Thank you for the reference of Nadolny, I will check it.

    ReplyDelete

Powerful Life Changing Hacks That Truly Transformed My Life: Using simple yet effective hacks to transform physical, mental and emotional health rapidly and sustainably

In this post, I'd like to introduce one of my recent books reflecting my transformational development. It is titled " Powerful L...